Welcome to Orchard Beginner! Content fields are bits of information that can store basic data, like the common .NET classes, e.g. strings, integers and dates.
Content fields can be attached to a content part in any quantity you like from the Admin UI, just make sure every field has a unique name. That means that unlike with parts, you can have a specific type of field attached multiple times.
In case you are attaching a content field to a content type on the Admin UI, the fields are attached to a ghost-content part with the same as the content type (if the content type doesn't already have a content part with the same name).
Differences between content parts and content fields:
- Parts can (but not necessarily should) correspond to database tables, i.e. a part can store its data in a table.
- A field's data is stored along the content item's ContentItemVersionRecord in a serialized XML format (and is thus performing worse because of serialization but also better because of not having to join in or lazily load other tables; concrete performance difference depends on the usage).
- Because of the storage difference parts' properties can be directly queried and used for filtering or ordering while fields can't be queried. The Projector module overcomes this by creating indices for fields.
- While a part can be attached to a content type once, a field can be attached multiple times.
- Parts are attached to a content type while technically fields are attached to a part (when you attach fields to a content type from the admin UI in reality an invisible part, having the same name as the type, will be created).
Let's attach some Content Fields to the Student Page Content Type
1. Adding a Content Field
2. Content Field Type
There are various types of Content Fields for example like Link , Text, Numeric, Enumeration, Input n many more...
3. Adding Input Field (First Name)
4. Adding Enumeration Field (Gender)
5. Content Field Type Setting (Enumeration)
Every Content Field has some Type Settings in the case of the Enumeration Field we need to specify the list of options.
6. Adding Link Field (Website Url)
7. Content Field Type Setting (Link)
Link Field Type Setting provides us option to open the link in a new window and many more..
8. Adding Numeric Field (Salary)
9. Content Field Type Setting (Numeric)
Numeric Field Type Setting allows us to set the Minimum and Maximum value.
10. Creating a new Student Page